If you wanted to survey a group of people to get a pulse on the state of QA and testing, you could do no better than the audience of the SD Times. Writer Alan Zeichick just posted a fancinating survey that’s sure to spark a conversion inside your organization. Covering everything from test teams sizes to the state of software security, the survey is a must-read for anyone in QA or development.
Here were three of the questions (and anwsers) that caught my attention:
Does your organization have separate development and test teams?
- Some development and test/QA teams are separate, some are integrated: 34.6%
- All test and development teams are integrated: 30.2%
- All development teams and test/QA teams are separate: 32.7%
- Don’t know: 2.4%
How many testers or test/QA professionals do you have at your company (or the largest company to whom you consult)?
- 5,000 or more: 2.9%
- 1,000-4,999: 3.9%
- 500-999: 2.5%
- 100-499: 5.9%
- 50-99: 7.8%
- 20-49: 11.3%
- 10-19: 9.3%
- 5-9: 15.2%
- 4 or fewer: 41.2%
What background do your test/QA managers and directors typically have?
- Both development and test/QA: 53.9%
- General IT background: 38.2%
- Test/QA only: 23.5%
- Development only: 21.6%
- General management background: 21.1%
- No particular background—we train them from scratch: 14.7%
What suprises you most from these survey responses? Be sure to let us know in the comment section.